5.24.2012

A Bridal Shower and Key Lime Meltaways!

My little Bride-To-Be, Aubri (in her Flirty Apron)!  

Adam and Aubri are getting married in just 37 days!  We had the wonderful opportunity to celebrate Aubri and her single days with a girl's night out in Scottsdale last weekend!  We did a bar crawl ("Billy's Bachelorette Bar Crawl," Billy is her nickname) and ended the weekend showering her with love and gifts with a beach-themed bridal shower.  It turned out so stinkin' cute and now we are thinking about doing the same theme for my niece's 2nd birthday this summer.  I made Key Lime Meltaways for the favors and they were ohhhh soooo tasty and easy to make!  


Aren't they beauties?  I packaged them in little pink cellophane bags with some cute labels and they were a hit!

I found this recipe via Smitten Kitchen... I am somewhat obsessed with her site and can't wait for her cookbook to come out this fall (if someone wants to buy it for me, I promise I won't mind)!

Anywho, here's whatcha need:
 Cream up your butter and 1/3 cup sugar.
 Add your key lime juice, zest, and vanilla.
 Whip up your dry ingredients!
Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/limey mixture. 
 Place it on your wax paper and roll 'em up into lil logs!
 Look at these beauties, all ready to go in the fridge for an hour!
 Slice 'em up!
 Lovely.  Just lovely, I tell ya!
 Place them on two cookie sheets with wax paper.
 Bake for about fifteen and allow them to cool on the racks for about three-four minutes.
Yes, that is a Penny Laine Dogger in the background!  She loves to be a vulture and watch me cook waits for me to drop something on the floor for her to eat!


After the sweet babies cool for about three minutos, place them in a plastic bag with the remaining sugar and coat well.
Look at these beauties! So Nom!
Key limes are KEY in this recipe, but it would work JUST FINE if you were only able to find regular limes!
I ate wayyyyy tooooo many of these sweet treats!  I had to give some to my neighbors before I gained 300 pounds or had to workout for 6 days to burn off all the calories I consumed!
I am going to try these with lemons/lemon juice and oranges/orange juice as well... Mr. Busy B is obsessed with Orange-anything and Momma Busy B is a lemon addict!  


Here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy these as much as I have!


Key Lime Meltaways
Recipe thanks to Smitten Kitchen


1 cup confectioners' sugar
Grated zest of 4 tiny or 2 large key limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (a.k.a 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature


Note:  You can make these with regular limes as well, but if you get a hold of some key limes they will be that much better!  You can also keep the logs frozen for up to two months and pull them out and bake them as cravings arise!


Yield: Approximately 5 dozen


1.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.  Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt.  Add to butter mixture, beating on low speed until combined.
3.  Between two-8x12 inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1-1/4 inch diameter logs.  Chill at least one hour.
4.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag.  Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds.  Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1-inch apart.
5.  Bake cookies for approximately fifteen minutes.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool slightly, approximately three to four minutes.  While still warm, place cookies in sugar-filled bag; toss to coat.  Bake or freeze remaining dough and store baked cookies in a sealed container for up to two weeks.