2.17.2011

Grandma's Salsa

I’m headed to a friend’s house tomorrow night and he is making carnitas.  I don’t think I’ve ever had homemade carnitas so I am so excited!  He did a test-run on the recipe he got last weekend and said between three people they each devoured a pound of meat each.  I asked him what he wanted me to bring and he suggested my Grandma’s salsa! 

Remember Grandma?  I introduced you to her a few weeks ago. 
Just in case you forgot, here she is:
She’s amazing.  And she and Mom are quite a sight to see in the kitchen.  They’re bossy.  And controlling.  And love food.  Wait?  Did I just describe myself?  I’m becoming my Mommy’s and Grandma’s daughter… so the saying is true, then? Oye Vey!
Anywho… so the salsa.  It’s SO easy.  And quick.  And delish!  So here you have it:

It looks like you need a lot of ingredients, but it’s just a ton of spices.  Don’t get intimidated!
Oh, and of course, SEA SALT (and or garlic salt).  Yum Yum.
Measure out your dry spices and mince your fresh garlic.
Slice up those green tailed onions…
And throw all that stuff in the food processor.
Process the heck outta it!
Yum Yum.  Take a whif of that baby.  Music to my ears… or nose… or… whatever.  You get my point.  Smells amazeballs!
Now throw your tomatoes in there....
And pulse your food processor until your desired salsa texture is achieved. 
Some people like it like liquidy.  Some like it chunky.  I like it in between, personally.
Of course, try it out and see if it needs a lil extra sum’n sum’n…
I like to use old glass containers for my salsa.  It’s 'green' and pretty…
As always, here is the recipe, enjoy!

Grandma Pat's Salsa
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes: Approx. 3 cups

Ingredients
1 large (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
½ tsp oregano
3 to 4 rings of jalapeños (fresh or canned)
Cilantro as desired (you can use fresh or dried)
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 to 3 green tail onions – sliced
½ tsp minced garlic (fresh or pre-minced)
¼ tsp cumin
1/3 cup hot water
Garlic salt and sea salt to taste

Directions
Place water, oregano, garlic/sea salt, jalapeño, cilantro, crushed red pepper, green onion and cumin in a food processor.  Puree until blended well.  Add canned tomatoes and pulse to desired texture.  Easy!  Note: Anytime you can use fresh ingredients – do!  It *always* tastes better.  But if you’re in a time crunch or have the dried/pre-minced stuff on hand, it still turns out great!