1.17.2011

Holy Moly Guacamole!

My family can't get enough of this stuff... it's so simple, I'm sure your family would love it too! 
This is the perfect complement to the pico de gallo I posted last week… and to the sour cream enchiladas!

Here’s what you need:
Chop up your banana pepper (make sure you de-seed it first)…
Slice the avocado…
Man this one looks good, right?!
I like to use a spoon to take out the good stuff.
Then I chop the avocado up…
And then mash it with a fork!
This one was giving me some trouble because it wasn’t quite as ripe and soft as I would have liked.
When this happens, throw it in your food processor!  Simple as that.
Now get your mashed avocado, pepper, and cottage cheese (make sure its small curd, otherwise you get a funny texture that I’m not too fond of).
Throw some garlic powder in there…
And some sea salt…
And some lime!
Sometimes, I even add some Greek yogurt to make it nice ‘n creamy!
Swirl it around…
YUMMY!
Take a bite.
Rachel Ray would say... Yum-o!
Here’s the recipe… let me know what you think!

Holy Moly Guacamole
Ingredients:
4 Avocados
1-2 banana peppers (like a jalapeño pepper, but very mild… great texture)
½ cup cottage cheese
Juice of one lime
Garlic powder and sea salt to taste
Optional: Throw some pico in there (about 1/3 cup)… and Greek yogurt (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup) you won’t regret it.

Directions:
Cut avocados in half and take the pits out.  Save 1-2 pits for later.  Mash the avocados until smooth (with a fork, food processor, or any type of mashing-contraption you can find or make in your kitchen).  Dice the banana pepper really small.  Combine avocado, banana pepper, and cottage cheese.  Add garlic powder and sea salt.  Add the juice of one lime.  Optional: Add pico de gallo and Greek yogurt).  Place in serving dish, and put the avocado pits on top (this, along with the lime, help prevent the guac from turning brown.