1.17.2011

Grandma's Sour Cream Enchiladas

I have had several requests for this recipe.  It's truly a family favorite.  This recipe reminds me of my Mom and Grandma, and the dish just never fails!  It goes great with my famous pico de gallo, guacamole, Grandma’s home-made salsa (which I will post the recipe for soon).  It doesn’t get any better than this!

Get your crock pot out (this one is from circa 1980’s or something… come on! It was at my parent’s cabin, gimmie a break)…

Throw your chicken in there and let it cook on high (about 3-4 hours, depending upon how great your crock pot is!). 

Once it’s cooked, shred it with two forks:

It will probably look something like this:

Here’s what you need for your creamy mixture:

Mix all of it up, and it should look like this:

Get an assembly station going (of course I would find a way to organize cooking… I’m an organization freak and I admit it!)

Now, get your tortillas and oil…

And throw some oil in your pan. 

I take a stack of your tortillas and throw them in the oil.

Flip the whole stack over.

Lift one up…

And turn it around. 

I keep doing this until all the tortillas have a little bit of oil on them.

One by one (after each is softened), place a tortilla in your baking dish.

Put some chicken on it…

Then some cheese…

Then a glob of mixture…

Roll it up…


And there ya go!  One down, 36 to go. 

After you get a pan rolled…

Throw the rest of your creamy mixture on top.



Top with cheese, and the rest of your green tail onion.

Throw it in the oven for 30 and you're DONE!

These babies are delish. 

Try ‘em with a lil bit of my pico! 
Here's the recipe... let me know how they turn out!


Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Level: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours Crock Pot, 30 Minutes Oven
Makes: 3 dozen enchiladas

Ingredients:
4 Chicken Breasts
3 cartons Greek Yogurt, sour cream, or plain yogurt (I love Greek yogurt the best!)
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
3 lbs Shredded Cheese (I love sharp cheddah!)
2 bunches Green Tail Onions, Chopped
3 small cans Chopped Green Chile
3 dozen White Corn Tortillas
Oil to heat tortillas
Optional: Sliced Black Olives

Directions:
  1. Cook chicken breast in a crock pot and shred.  Set aside. 
  2. In a medium bowl, mix Greek yogurt and cream of chicken soup.  Add green chile and ¾’s of the green onions.  Set aside. 
  3. Warm your pan on low.  Place about 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and soften the corn tortillas (make sure your pan isn’t too hot – your tortillas could possibly cook (fry) instead of get warm and flimsy like we want them to be).  
  4. I like to make an ‘assembly station’ with your pan, chicken, cheese, and creamy mixture close by for assembling the enchiladas.
  5. Place the softened tortilla in your baking dish (you can use whatever you have, I usually use a 13x9 or jelly roll pan).  Put a few tbsps of chicken, as much cheese as desired, and approximately 1-2 tbsp of the creamy mixture on top, and roll into an enchilada.  Fill them really full – it’s nice to have a generous portion.
  6. When all tortillas are rolled, pour the rest of the creamy mixture on top of the enchiladas.  Top with cheese and green tail onion. Optional: Add black olives on top for a little extra pizzazz.  Not everyone likes these, but my hubby sure does!
  7. Cook at 350 until cheese is melted (approximately 30 minutes).

Tip: These babies freeze really well – so make them ahead of time for a busy week!  Just make sure you don’t do the topping until they are defrosted.