12.04.2010

Oreo Cheesecake Bars

My sister's friend Mindy just had a baby and I am preparing a meal for the new parents (it's their first!!!).  Sis does a 'Food Ministry' for her church and arranges meals for families when they are in need, going though life changes (babies, sickness, death), etc... anywho, she set's up a Food Tidings site and sends it out for people to sign up and help out.  Today is my day to prepare a meal.  I picked my fave's for this one:
  • A beautiful green salad with my homemade Italian dressing
  • Homemade Chicken Alfredo
  • Cheesy French Bread
  • Oreo Cheesecake Bars
Don't you worry, the rest of those recipes will be up soon!

Today, I'm gonna show you how to make the bars... They are delish! 

I adapted this recipe from this awesome Philadelphia tin sister got me for my birthday this year.  If you have a baker/cooker/food-lovah in the fam, might score ya some brownie points (no pun intended)...


Here's whatcha need: 


Preheat that oven and prepare those pans (line with foil and spray with baking spray).  Since these were going to someonelse's house, I decided to use little tin pans so I don't have to play that chase-your-pan-around-town game.


Put 30 of your cookies in the food processor, and grind 'em up real good.


This is what we call a victim... I couldn't resist, ok!?


Add melted butter and mix...



And press it firmly onto the bottom of the pan (I use a spoon, works great).


Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until blended. 


Add plain yogurt, mix well, and then add the eggs (one at a time), beating until blended after each addition.


Chop remaining cookies.

Meet my Knuckle Sandwich.  Awesome knife!  We got this as a gift from a friend... if you're in need of a good knife, let me know.  Our friend sells these bad boys!


Stir in 1.5 cups of chopped cookies into your batter.


Pour over crust... 

Sprinkle remaining chopped cookies on top, and throw 'em in the oven!


Look at these babies!  YUM! 

Here's the recipe, I hope you love 'em.   If you're interested in finding out how to start a Food Ministry in your town, church, or neighborhood, contact me here.


Oreo Cheesecake Bars
Prep: 20 minutes, plus 4 hours refrigerating
Bake: 40 minutes
Yield: 16-18 servings.

Ingredients:
1 pkg. Oreo Cookies
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
4 pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup plain yogurt
 4 eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.  Line 13x9 or 2-8x8 pans with foil, with ends extending over the sides of the pan.  Place 30 cookies in food processor; cover.  Process until finely ground.  Add butter; mix well.  Press firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. 

Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium until well blended.  Add plain yogurt; mix well.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition until just blended.  Chop remaining cookies, and stir 1 1/4 cups of chopped cookies into cream cheese batter.  Pour batter over crust; sprinkle with remaining chopped cookies.

Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool and refrigerate overnight.  Lift cheesecake from pan, using foil handles.  Cut into squares and serve.  Store leftovers in refrigerator.